• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Curious about 100LL and Magneto Timing ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamikaze

Reaction score
This is just a general question about a topic I don't understand fully and can't seem to find a lot of information on.

I've seen passing comments regarding the fact that the engine timing (25deg from TDC on my O-320, IIRC) is related to octane, or some other characteristics of the fuel, and that some people seem to think, and/or actually do, retard their spark to say 24deg when using 100LL instead of the original 80/87 fuel that the specs were done against I guess.

Could anyone enlighten me, and any one else reading, on the theory and practice behind this? Or maybe have links to resources that explain this?

If it is so, why isn't it the standard practice/common knowledge (to adjust timing differently I mean)?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back