• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

cross-border regulations differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This post was triggered by a discussion about displaying an airworthiness certificate.

I had a clear plastic window slot, in the carpet piece that reflected upwards onto the forward portion of the back seat pedestal. It was not replaced in kind, when I redid the interior, but in any case never used, and for a while wondered what it was for.

In Canada we do not have a similar reg, the CofA just needs to be in the plane. Mine is in a clear plastic folder, in a forward pocket, but only partially visible. Not sure if an FAA inspector would violate me or not.

It does bring up an interesting question. Although the regs are very similar US/Canada, they do differ in subtle ways. One good example in the converse is that we are required to do a compass swing once a year, and the deviation card needs to be updated and displayed. So, if a US plane comes to Canada, they may well not be in compliance.

Canadian regs require something called a journey log on board at all times, which not only records all of the aircraft's flights, but also includes a duplicate of all the technical log entries. Obviously no US aircraft will have one.

I've always wondered about these differences. That is not the same as operational differences in the regs, such as how approach minimums are applied (they are slightly different cross-border), you just fly what you are supposed to, given where you are.

I've never heard a good authoritative answer to this. I've just done the best I can, it has worked so far.

* Orest

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back