• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Crack in Stabilator bottom skin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have just had our Arrow IV resprayed. Flown about 5 times since (about 5 hours) and noticed in a pre flight today this crack. Was not there on previous flights. Obviously did not fly.

What could cause this? VERY UNHAPPY. Something rigged wrong.

Plane has been flying fine. No vibration or flutter. Yoke does feel like it sticks slightly (barely) as it passes through neutral. Same if I move the stabilator by hand. Moves easily up or down but slightly stiff through neutral position

Top picture shows crack on the right and a thin almost gouge on the left (start of a crack ??)

The plastic top fairing (blue) looks like it it has moved to the right. I pushed it like that. It always has some wiggle in the trailing edge. I would be surprised if that caused it
F84621FC-A99F-43CF-8467-813F3D3F3DE3.jpeg

0BCE1AFC-A791-4575-97AD-A7DF35312953.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back