• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Correct Alternator Belt? Cherokee 180 D

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I removed my prop for refinishing. Before I put it back on, I would like to install a new alternator belt.

The present belt has no numbers on it, and is 7/32" wide when measured on the inside of the belt. And 1/2" when measured on the outside.

My Cherokee parts manual specifies a Part Number PS10069-1-6 for the belt.

I visited my local aircraft parts supplier, described my aircraft, and they sold me a belt marked F4340 37B19774-341.

However, the newly purchased belt is WIDER than the old belt. 5/16" vs. 7/32" when measured on the inside. And 17/32" vs. 1/2" when measured on the outside.

In sizing up the old belt vs. the newly purchased belt, they are nearly identical in length, with the newly purchased belt being a fraction of an inch longer than the old belt.

This increased length of the newly purchased (wider belt) makes sense, as the new belt will ride higher on the pulleys of the ring gear and alternator than the old belt, necessitating a slightly longer belt.

Any thoughts here, preferably from real world experience with this issue will be greatly appreciated!!!

I should also say that I have no way of knowing whether the old belt is the correct belt. It has run well and never gave me a lick of trouble. All except the belt is showing some cracking at the notches, which is why I'd like to replace it BEFORE it breaks at an inopportune time.

Oh, and the new belt has notches on the OUTSIDE, and the old belt has notches on the INSIDE!

Thanks for your thoughts regarding whether I have a correct replacement belt. 

Charley
A&P

photo.jpg

Latest posts

Back