• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Convince me not to buy a twin ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the wife, bless her heart, has been pushing me to go finish my multi commercial and MEI so we can buy a twin instead of never finding anything we like in the single market. I have been trying to tell her I don't think we can afford a twin. However, she rightly pointed out that I do not have any hard numbers to back this up. I have a decade a numbers on operating 172s, T41s, Arrows, and a Dakota but nothing on a twin.

So please help me convince her its a bad idea, or convince me its a good idea lol. We would consider a Seneca II/III - prob in the 200k range. Here are my "guestimates" on what it would cost to own/operate.

TLDR; I believe it will cost about $240/hr to operate, and $12k/yr to own. Affordable...but I worry about ~90k in engines coming due. Hourly cost is one thing when you can put away money to pay for that engine...tough to do with a midtime engine that likely wont make TBO and lets face it havingly mostly flown NA planes th odds of a costly mistake are high. That is the sum of my argument - while we can afford the upfront cost and operating costs over timee we cannot afford the TWO big engines and the insurance I feel is likely to be above 4k for me. I only have 400 hours of retract time and no Seneca time (my multi time is less than 10 hours right now). Though if we do go this route I would finish my MEI with prob 30 hours in a Seneca I.

Initial Investment
Aircraft Cost$200,000.00
Sales Tax @ 7%$14,000.00
Start-Up Expenses$30,000.00
Total Initial Expenses$44,000.00

Fixed Operating Expenses
Insurance$4,500.00Dollars
Tie Down - Monthly$100.00Dollars
Annual Inspection $4,500.00Dollars
GPS Subscriptions - Monthly$55.00Dollars
Misc. Expenses$1,360.00Dollars
Direct Operation Expenses