• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Comparison of ADSB-Out units

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 76 PA28 Warrior with a King KT76A transponder, an altitude encoder, and no WASS GPS source. I've been looking at various options to become ADSB-Out and In compliant and thought some of you might be able to offer advice.

I looked at the Uavionix ESGi which runs a bit over $3000 plus installation and provides transponder plus ADSB In and Out.

I'm also looking at the Avidyne AXP340, the Bendix/King KT 74, the Garmin GTX 330, and the Trig TT31. These units are supposed to be slide in compatible with my old KT76A which should mean that the installation would be much less expensive. However, they need a WASS GPS source. I've been told I can use the Garmin 20 or the Stratus 2020 for a WASS GPS source and then I should be good to go. Do I need to install a new antenna? What else?

Can anyone give me any idea if going with a KT76A slide in replacement is a good idea and what, if any, are the pitfalls? I've been told the Avidyne, and KT74 are refaced copies of the Trig TT31 (all use the same internals) so are pretty much equivalent. However, the Trig TT31 is a 10 year old design versus the Uavionix ESGi that only came out a couple years ago. The plus side for the KT76A compatible units, in addition to lower install cost, is that they've been around for 10 years and so are available on the used market.

Latest posts

Back