• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Comanche 250 Prop strike dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By9468840

Reaction score
Hi

I spent the last 2-3 weeks inspecing a 1961 Comanche 250 and two days I ago I discovered that 2 years ago, owner tried to start the engine with the towbar on.
During the cranking, 2 blades of the 3 blade Mc cauley prop struk the tow bar and had to be sent for overhaul. The problem is, the mechanic only did the Lycoming SB201F (crank flange thickness inspection).
They did the not perform the AD for a new crankshaft gear bolt neither did they perform the SB533C for tear down inspection.

It is very unfortunate for the seller as he could have easily claimed all this from the insurance. Now after two years, we are trying to work out a deal. It is quite a costly task to take this engine out and send it for tear down inspection. It barely has 400 hours and 8 years since overhaul. It would probably make sense to do a complete overhaul since the tear down inspection alone costs about 15k including all labour and shipping.

The prop strike was during engine start and happened within the first 1-2 rotation of the blades. 90 hours since incident. On the other hand, I wonder what the risks really are, them only comply with the AD and keep flying?. I could buy this aircraft at a huge discount. Should I really be worrying about the crankshaft? Or just have the crankshaft / camshaft bolts replaced, have it complied with the AD and move on?

What would you do?

Latest posts

Back