• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 180 in the Phoenix area - want to check out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I’m not thrilled about the performance of my Cherokee 160c when it’s loaded near MGW in the summer time here in Phoenix. 50-200 fpm climbs aren’t fun, and my traveling mission is shaping up to be 2 FAA+ sized adults, and a growing future co-pilot. That plus reasonable bags puts me within 50 lbs of 2200 lbs when going from A-B, with usually no more than 40 gallons of fuel aboard.

I’m eyeballing a local 235, as well as investigating Arrow 200’s and Comanche 250s. However, in the interest of managing mission overkill, I’m wondering if a 180 (with its extra 200 lbs of capacity) would get me where I want to go and leave some $ available to have a nicer panel.

Speed is nice, but it’s not a driving priority. Comfortably climbing when it’s hot, as well as reliably being able to confidently surmount 8500’ features enroute (without prayer and a long lead-in for climb), is.

If any of you PFers in the Phoenix area have a Cherokee 180, I’d love to take a spin and see how the difference shapes up. I didn’t hate how the 235 threw me back in my seat - but I don’t often have a need for a 1400 lb useful. My airframe is the 180 frame (C model), and throwing an O-360 out front on a 337 might be possible - or just getting a 180.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back