• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 140 in Europe

Pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,
just signed up here and getting started on reading the forum up and down to learn all I can.

I’m looking for a Cherokee to buy (preferably 140, MTOW <2200 lbs) in Europe.

If you know any, kindly let me know.

Thanks a lot!
Pat

paul_sherry

Reaction score
Hi Pat.

Not too many European pilots hang out here - but there are a few....

Where in Europe are you based?

A few suggestions of places you might look in Europe -

In the UK -
www.justplanetrading.com is worth an eye kept. Doesn't look like they have anything ay the moment but it might be worth a call to David Morris who runs it just to let him know you might be in the market. All sorts of aircraft come his way and it he knows someone might be interested then he might keep an eye out or know someone

In Europe more widely -
www.planecheck.com and type in PA28 into the search box. There are currently 5 140's listed and quite a few more 161's.

Keep an eye on GA Buyer as there are occasionally some aircraft that turn up there and you can sign up for the subscription service and get each month's version emailed to you.

If you are in the UK then consider joining the digital subscription to Flyer Magasine (I know the editor Ian Seager quite well) as that's a useful source of adverts.

And depending on where you are then getting in touch with local GA airfields. Most have a notice board and might let you put up an advert for very little money.

For information our group is based in north west UK - Liverpool and Hawarden.

Paul

paul_sherry

Reaction score
There is quite a tidy looking aircraft available in Switzerland for $26,000 on PlaneCheck.

About €21500 or £18500.

Might be worth a look. If it has been looked after by the Swiss then there is a fair chance it has been maintained well. Swiss engineers have a rightly deserved reputation for attention to detail. I guess there may the occasional exception.

Paul

Pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul,
thanks a lot for your helpful reply!

Hi Pat.

Not too many European pilots hang out here - but there are a few....

Where in Europe are you based?

> Based in Austria

A few suggestions of places you might look in Europe -

In the UK -
www.justplanetrading.com is worth an eye kept. Doesn't look like they have anything ay the moment but it might be worth a call to David Morris who runs it just to let him know you might be in the market. All sorts of aircraft come his way and it he knows someone might be interested then he might keep an eye out or know someone

> Thanks, didn't know that one

In Europe more widely -
www.planecheck.com and type in PA28 into the search box. There are currently 5 140's listed and quite a few more 161's.

> Check it everyday, thanks

Keep an eye on GA Buyer as there are occasionally some aircraft that turn up there and you can sign up for the subscription service and get each month's version emailed to you.

> Thanks, will do

If you are in the UK then consider joining the digital subscription to Flyer Magasine (I know the editor Ian Seager quite well) as that's a useful source of adverts.

> G to EASA is a bit less appealing now, but, if the right plane comes up it won't matter, so I'll check it out.

And depending on where you are then getting in touch with local GA airfields. Most have a notice board and might let you put up an advert for very little money.

> Excellent idea, so far I just tried to track down owners of specific planes.

For information our group is based in north west UK - Liverpool and Hawarden.

Paul
Thanks again!

Pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is quite a tidy looking aircraft available in Switzerland for $26,000 on PlaneCheck.

About €21500 or £18500.

Might be worth a look. If it has been looked after by the Swiss then there is a fair chance it has been maintained well. Swiss engineers have a rightly deserved reputation for attention to detail. I guess there may the occasional exception.

Paul
I've seen it, what in particular is tidy about it?

Pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score

About €21500 or £18500.

Paul
Might not mean much but judging by the pictures (and if they depict the owner(s)), 4 adults (for one of them I only see "arms") going for a ride in a 140... doesn't instill much confidence in the way the plane was treated ;)

paul_sherry

Reaction score
I wouldn't put too much store by that although would agree that, if they wanted to stay within MTOW limitations then they would have probably had enough fuel for one circuit..... But there are very few people who have not flown an aircraft overweight from time to time...either inadvertently or otherwise.

The paint looks in good shape, not too many hours for a 1966 airframe, if the aircraft has been in Switzerland all it's life then perhaps airframe corrosion might not be an issue (but would need to be inspected of course).

Depending on what someone wanted out of it then put in a GTN650 GPS/Nav/Com (or if that was too much money then maybe a used 430) and a new interior and that's potentially not a bad aircraft.

It's at least worth a look at that money.

Depends on what someone's budget is and what they are looking for.....

It would all depend on the pre-buy - as with any aircraft.

Have you got an idea of what you are looking for, and what you want to do with the aircraft?

P

Pat

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I want a low cost IFR in VMC airplane for myself (two seater plus fuel), suitable for MOGAS (autofuel) STC and less than 999kg (<2204,62lbs) MTOW.

Ideally it would already be equipped with a GPS (GNS430 etc..), then I'd put in a G5 and GFC500.

Did you see the new one on planecheck today?

paul_sherry

Reaction score
I assume you mean this one?

If that's in your budget then I would agree worth a look.

Pretty reasonable IFR fit including a 430W and a DME. Plus an autopilot which would make IFR easier.

Interior likes tidy.

Add a G5 (or maybe an Aspen) and that would be a useful aircraft

Paul