• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee 140/180 w/Dynon & new engine overhaul

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajd

Reaction score
Please share your thoughts. The backstory: I bought this 1976 Cherokee 140 with the Avcon conversion to an 0360-A4M 5 years ago, and used it to get my license, planning to use it for commuting. It had a great airframe, a timed-out engine, and stock instruments. Two years ago, I took a big step and had the engine overhauled, and put a GTN650/ Dynon system in, thinking I would use it to get my IFR. Then Covid hit, and for for the last two years, I've worked from home far more than I used to, and as a result, the airplane only gets up once a month or so. Meaning that overhaul has only about 20 hours on it, but it is regularly flown. I really enjoy flying, and "Evelyn" is a joy, but I'm having trouble justifying the ongoing hangar and insurance expenses for a plane I don't use nearly enough. Regarding the Dynon: autopilot is an easy install, once Dynon has
IMG-7773.jpg
IMG-7762.jpg
IMG-7763.jpg
IMG-7764.jpg
IMG-7768.jpg
IMG-7776.jpg
IMG-7777.jpg
IMG-7778.jpg
IMG-7771.jpg
IMG-7772.jpg
IMG-7774.jpg
the STC, as the electronic backbone is built in. I also saved a few AMU's and skipped the engine monitoring, but it's also an easy upgrade. The previous owner painted it around 2004, and it has always been hangared. I've always done whatever maintenance is needed: tires, brakes, new sealed battery, etc., but in general, it's been an easy airplane, always acting exactly the same, and always doing the job. I've been looking for comparables, and can't find a Cherokee 140/180 or even a 180 with a glass cockpit. It seems like with the supply chain issues, plus difficulty getting into the shop these days, someone could take advantage of this upgrade rather than go through the hassle of upgrading theirs. I haven't set a price; I thought I would reach out to this forum first to gauge interest before doing further price research. I'd appreciate knowing what thoughts other Piper owners may have on its value. It is in NW Washington state. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back