• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

CDI Compatibility with MX300

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have sort of a hodge-podge panel in need of an upgrade (ADS-B, IFR GPS) and I’m trying to utilize as much of the existing installation as possible. I’m planning on getting the new Garmin GNX-375, and keeping my KX-155 as my primary NAV/COM.

I also have a KN-53 that doesn’t work, and an MX-300V that barely works. My plan is to move the MX-300V tray to the right stack, (remove old FlyBuddy and KT-76), and install a new MX-300 in the tray. The MX-300s are slide-in replacements for old Cessna radios, and normally drive whatever original Cessna CDI was in the panel.

Here is the conundrum. The MX300V is sort of an oddball. It has an LED CDI on the face of the radio, so it doesn’t have a CDI attached to it. The KN-53 drives its own CDI (yes, I have 3 NAVs, weird). I’m wondering if it’s possible to have an MX-300 drive the King CDI from the KN-53 (I will remove the KN-53) or possibly share a Garmin CDI with the GNX-375 with a relay switch. Or, is it worth buying a used Cessna CDI, or some other compatible CDI? Is there even a new Cessna CDI replacement?

TKM wasn’t sure, they said to ask my avionics shop. My avionics shop wasn’t sure, either, I don’t want to place deposits and start pulling the panel apart only to find Plan A doesn’t work, only to go to a more expensive Plan B.

Anyone have any insight? Thanks. Photo attached.

Attachments

• 1A0BCBE0-4E72-4A3E-BD7E-89CA7B1041F2.jpeg
    1A0BCBE0-4E72-4A3E-BD7E-89CA7B1041F2.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back