• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Buying Prop

jmthull

Reaction score
I have found a prop that I want to buy in TX and Im in IL... What's the safest way to complete transaction. So you feel safe that the party will ship the prop and they will fill confident that I will pay said fee...

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
Have you bought anything online before? Paypal is a pretty good transaction website. It links to your bank, verifies your address, etc. If the seller sends you an invoice through them, you get their protection as they are a broker for the money. They won't release the funds until the shipper includes a tracking number and then it gives a couple days after declaring delivered before it releases the funds. Gives you time to inspect for damage, etc.

Tweety

Reaction score
Assuming you are buying from a private party, the first question I'd ask is why he's selling it? You don't want to get stuck with an un-airworthy prop...they make expensive letter openers. Make sure it has the proper paperwork that matches the stamped serial number, and you might even specify that it be checked by an IA at your expense for obvious problems. If it is used, it will probably have some condition problems that may or may not be re-workable. The prop manufacturer will have guidelines about what can be re-worked.

The prop I got after my lightning strike came in a special, long tri-wall box with a lot of foam packing and strapped to a couple of boards to protect it from shipping damage. Shippers don't like unusual boxes and sometimes treat them harshly. You don't want a bent or dinged prop. I assume the seller has the responsibility for packing it properly.

The PayPal suggestion is a great one. PP has helped me resolve some problems when a seller has been less-than-accommodating.

Tom

Reaction score
Some Sensenich Metal props out there have not had the 1969 AD done which makes it look and operate airworthy but its not. The Propellers affected by the AD must have the letter K following the Serial Number, This AD can only be complied with by Sensenich, not a prop shop. Cant remember the prop part number, have a look at the AD, trust but verify.....