• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Buying a Saratoga ii tc - advice on options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm planning to buy a Saratoga II TC soon. My mission is wife, two kids, vacation and weekend trips around the USA, some of which will be in the Rockies. Good IFR capability is a must, as is oxygen. This plane seems to be the right fit for us in terms of cost, useful load, fit for mission. Much of the information on this board has been invaluable, so thank you all for your contributions.

Let me also say that I'm going to buy with John Bartelt's help. This is my first plane, and I expect to learn a lot going through this process. I am looking at roughly 98-03 model years.

I have some questions (or maybe opinion solicitations!) for all/any of you on these planes:

1. While I'm sure infinite threads could be filled about engines alone, beyond hours SMOH, but short of a borescope examination, is there anything unique to this engine that I should know about? (avoid s/n xxx-yyy, pay special attention to turbocharger widget #206, etc?)

2. Other unique characteristics to this model that are "gotchas"?

3. An engine monitor seems important / valuable. I think I should choose a plane with an engine monitor, or have one installed after purchase. Do you agree? Which one do you prefer? What should I budget to have one installed?

4. I think I should upgrade to ADS-B in/out immediately (have to do it anyway, why not now?) Do you agree? If I do this, is XM Wx still valuable?

5. Stormscope seems valuable regardless of #4? What about Skywatch collision avoidance? Still valuable even with ADS-B? Both seem to be common on saratogas in these years.

6. Autopilot options. KFC-150 vs STEC 55 vs 55X. Most seem to have one of the STECs, and I've heard good things about the STEC 55 and not much about the KFC-150 (which seems much older tech?) I think the X means GPSS. Thoughts / recommendations?

7. How useful is a multifunction display vs. iPad with foreflight? Seems like still useful, but maybe an iPad with a yoke mount is better?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback.
Kris

Latest posts

Back