• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Bring your engine...

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As seen on Barnstormers:

1975 PA-28-140 airframe

$10,000.00

Total time 2160.84 NO FIREWALL FORWARD, nice looking, demers super tips all logs, call /text ONLY • Contact Jacob "Randy" R. Bass, Owner - located Fruithurst, AL USA • Telephone: 678-642-7535 • Posted August 19, 2016

http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?ID=1168891

EDIT: Strikes me as WAY HIGH price. Bet no avionics either.

Last edited:

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
Yeah he won't get it. I sold my junk of a -140 with a mid-time engine for $6k after being listed for a year, and it had avionics.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah he won't get it. I sold my junk of a -140 with a mid-time engine for $6k after being listed for a year, and it had avionics.

I remember that plane. Your grandfather's?

And you had a ragwing also?

Tweety

Reaction score
Article in the latest AOPA magazine about a $1000 Cherokee. It was a "ramp queen" and the guy finally convinced the owner to part with it cheap. He put in another ~$3000 to get it airworthy and traded flying time for A&P work. The picture of the plane shows really ratty paint but a fairly decent panel and interior.

Stuff like that drags down the value of all our Cherokees, doesn't it.

On the other hand, the "rat rod" trend for hotrods with deliberately rough bodies/paint might take hold for planes. Why should we be putting $10K paint jobs on planes worth less than $25K?

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Does AOPA still have a real paper magazine? I haven't been a member in years.

rrc1962

Reaction score
I don't get the rat rod thing. I've looked at a couple and made offers telling the seller That the reason the offer is low is that I'm factoring in a paint job. Doesn't make sense to spend that much money to make something look you didn't spend a dime.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Tweety

Reaction score
In the case of the "rat rods", it's a reaction to the extremes of the "Kustom" craze where much more attention is paid to appearance than performance. The Rat Rods are closer to the origin of hot rodding in the post-WW II jalopy craze.

For aircraft, things are a little different. The paint is a "protective coating" and you don't want to see planes with corrosion holes in the Alclad. But who's to say that you can't get a durable finish with a paint roller and some Rustoleum? After all, the original doped finishes were usually applied with a paintbrush (!).

When I was first looking to buy, I found a reasonable plane that came from Alaska and had a good engine and avionics, but ratty paint and exterior. In retrospect, I might have been better off buying that one and living with the appearance. Or buying some certified upholstery material and a paint roller!

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
In the case of the "rat rods", it's a reaction to the extremes of the "Kustom" craze where much more attention is paid to appearance than performance. The Rat Rods are closer to the origin of hot rodding in the post-WW II jalopy craze.

For aircraft, things are a little different. The paint is a "protective coating" and you don't want to see planes with corrosion holes in the Alclad. But who's to say that you can't get a durable finish with a paint roller and some Rustoleum? After all, the original doped finishes were usually applied with a paintbrush (!).

When I was first looking to buy, I found a reasonable plane that came from Alaska and had a good engine and avionics, but ratty paint and exterior. In retrospect, I might have been better off buying that one and living with the appearance. Or buying some certified upholstery material and a paint roller!
There was a time when USAir painted some of their jets in alumigrip with a roller!

Then it was not long thereafter they went to the all polished planes with very little paint, and the only color on the plane, the "three orange stripe", was done in adhesive vinyl decals.

I remember dad saying the polished jets were on a rotation through Pittsburgh, with a couple of jets being polished each week, to keep them looking good, until they had run through the whole fleet, and then the polishing upkeep cycle repeated.

I guess the polished planes had a big advantage over painted planes in terms of weight savings, cost of upkeep, etc.

N1132J-USAir.jpg

Last edited: