• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Brand new 1963 Cherokee 180

USCDOC

Reaction score
I'm selling my first plane... a brand new Cherokee 180... I say that b/c it has nearly been restored 100%. 0 time 0-360 motor, New paint 2010 scheme (6mths old hangered), new AirTex interior installed last week, new dash, new oil/air separator, new front tire, front shock rebuild, etc... I honestly can't name it all. I couldn't just leave it in 1963 shape after it gave me my first 700hours. I've spent WAY too much on the restore, but I loved (almost) every step. I'm in the process of finishing touches, and my A&P said I should reskin the ailerons bc they are the only part of the plane that makes it look not brand new... so that is being done and then weight and balance and annual at the end of this month. IFR cert and KLN94 GPS. Dual Vor's w/ glidescope. I purchased a Columbia during the project and can't afford 2 planes. I hope it make a beginner or avid flyer happy. Asking $65K
Cheers, Levi [email protected]

killrocks

Reaction score
Wow....that is a BEAUTIFUL airplane, great job and good luck with the sale sir.

voretaq7

Reaction score
Your restoration sounds like my restoration!

"You know you've turned the project into a restoration when you start unbolting the fixed vertical fin." - Me (shortly after saying "Well we may as well take the fin off, it'll be easier…")

arkvet

Reaction score
Beautiful! Would love to see a pic or two of the inside / panel.

kyarnell

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gorgeous! I just recently bought a '67 180 which had a lot of work done - I see myself redoing the panel and replacing the pilot and co-pilot seat (that saga is in another thread).

IMG_2597.jpg

GLL

Reaction score
Beautiful! Would love to see a pic or two of the inside / panel.
Likewise. A beautiful plane. There are plenty of folk that will tell you it doesn't make sense to stick a load of time and money in a plane like yours (or mine). And by the pencil, suppose they have a point. But in reality - A Cherokee 180 is a pretty capable plane, and it's worthy of a pretty broad range of missions. I could do a lot worse than to keep my plane and give it some nice upgrades (like a modern panel)

USCDOC

Reaction score
Likewise. A beautiful plane. There are plenty of folk that will tell you it doesn't make sense to stick a load of time and money in a plane like yours (or mine). And by the pencil, suppose they have a point. But in reality - A Cherokee 180 is a pretty capable plane, and it's worthy of a pretty broad range of missions. I could do a lot worse than to keep my plane and give it some nice upgrades (like a modern panel)
I agree. With an aspen or other this plane would be very well equipped and still under $100K. New Archers are what $300k + now? I guess it all comes down to what the plane is for and how big your pocket book is...I used it to commute between my dental practices in Northern California.

kyarnell

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As long as an airframe has been cared for and maintained, the mission dictates whether or not you have the right plane for your needs. Unless you have the deep pockets to subsidize the insurance and legal professions by purchasing a brand new $120K plane for $400K, it makes a lot more sense to maintain your plane and update as needed/desired. (My 1967 panel will need ADS-B shortly just like someone else's 2013 panel will...)

With a useful load of over 900 lbs. plus full fuel, my plane will take me, my wife, and some bags anywhere we want in comfort and reasonably fast. It does everything I could wish for and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to operate, it looks nice (not quite as nice as yours!), and I love flying it. I hope that three or four years from now, I have enjoyed doing the maintenance and occasional upgrades as much as I enjoy flying it.

Now... if Garmin would just sell the TSO stuff as cheaply as the experimental stuff.....

kyarnell

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Second that - how did you redo the panel? If you stuck with steam gauges, did you reorganize them or stick with the somewhat ...less than optimal.. original Piper layout?

Latest posts