• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Bore-scope Value Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy101

Reaction score
Cylinder1_1.jpg
As the plane had not been flown for 2 months (medical issues, sorted now), not really flying much before then, only doing short flights of 1/2 hour or less and stored in a hanger in a humid climate (yes, I know, a perfect storm for problems) I decided it would be advisable to borescope the cylinders before flying again and taking advantage of the cool weather.

The engine has just gone over 2000 hours but compression's are all mid to upper 70's and oil usage around 8-10 quarts an hour, so nothing too concerning there.

Before the laying up for a couple of months I thought I'd take precautions by changing the oil and adding Camguard. Should have listened to all the advice about flying regularly and not less than 1 hour at a time!

You can see the result but I still thinking about what did we do before cheap, readily available and good quality bore-scopes and the implications of blindly assuming risks have been mitigated.

So this is the inlet valve on Cylinder # 1. Obviously the cylinder will be pulled before the engine is run again and I'm hoping the bottom end hasn't suffered too much. Interestingly enough the other cylinders seemed ok and this one was 78/80 on the last annual about 6 months ago.

Lesson learnt for the future.

Latest posts

Back