• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Best way to purge sediment from tanks??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My club purchased a 1967 PA140/160 at the end of the summer. The airplane appears in very good condition and runs great, but it has not flown much in the last couple years. We are having a sediment issue, principally the left tank, but also the right. We also get a little from the gascolator, but far less. We took the gascolator apart, and the screen was clean-- what sediment gets to it sinks to the bottom and goes out with the sumping operation. If you don't take a big sample, the wing sumping valves often leak, consistent with debris on their seats.

The samples run clean after about 1/3 full in the Gats jar, but then there is more sediment after the next flight. I am wondering if this is safe to fly, or do we need to clean out the tanks? IF cleaning the tanks, which I am inclined to do, is there a way to get a hose through the filler and baffles to the low point to suck directly from there? If not, I am thinking perhaps we could drain the tanks, first part way by siphon, then remove the drain valves. Follow with a few fuel purge/flushes until the sediment clears. OR --- is it necessary to remove the tanks? Also curious what this stuff is, if anybody knows??

This Photo is from the left tank, a day after last flight. Thanks for inputs!

IMG-1926[496].JPG

Attachments

• IMG-1927[497].JPG
    IMG-1927[497].JPG
    37 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back