• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Battery short : Consequences ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamikaze

Reaction score
Hi all,

I accidentally shorted my battery when my wrench slipped out of my hands and touched both terminals at once.

Loud bangs, sparks flew, but that was about it. The battery still works, but cranking power seems considerably reduced, and possibly getting worse fairly quickly (l started the A/C 4 times today, and it seemed a little harder each time).

The A/C just came out of annual and other-wise runs great, so presuming nothing else is going on, and that the most obvious cause is probably the right one, would this short explain the symptoms (reduced cranking power) ?

I'm no expert on battery chemistry and such.

The correlation between the event and the cranking issue seems pretty clear to me, and even being somewhat ignorant about these things, the short damaging the battery seems like a reasonable consequence, but I wanted to check before I spill for a new one.

It's a Concorde sealed RG-35A.

Used to start the engine in 2 turns, if that. Now it takes several seconds for the starter to even manage to turn the engine at all !

Thanks!
J.F.

Latest posts

Back