• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Battery backup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is for general info. I use an iPad mini 2 with Foreflight. I have panel mounted USB chargers but are older 1 amp. As other posters have noted, the iPad battery will still discharge over time even while using the USB charger, especially if at night with brightness on. On a long cross country with short stops, the iPad battery may well run down. I found having a portable battery bank charger, such as Jackery Grant+ which has a dual 1 and 2.1 amp USB ports and 12000mAh capacity to maintain (and even increase battery charge level) and will get me to the end of my journey. It saved me my last two trips of 6 hours each, including night usage...iPad battery lasted 4 hours and the backup battery sustained me for another 2 hours with charge to spare. Just a suggestion for those looking for backup. I'll eventually install 3.1 USB into the panel, but having the power bank backup w/ light is an essential flight bag requirement for me.

Latest posts

Back