• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Bad Birdie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM.

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I posted this as a reply on the bird strike article page but there doesn't seem to be too many comments with these posts.

This is a bird strike that recently occurred in northern Illinois, which is heavy with Canada Geese activity year round. Acrylic doesn't hold up very well to large birds.

It looks as though they watched it come right at them with only minor physical defensive movements. Even with an inch and a quarter, five pane laminated windshield, I would adjust my seat down to the lowest level during bird activity or ducked down beneath the glare shield if a bird collision was imminent. One of these in your face will take an eye out and bust up your skull. It's happened to a captain on an airliner with a heavy glass windshield, a goose took out his left eye socket and eye. When you see this coming at you, duck all the way down down for a few seconds, the airplane will fly just fine without help, save your face.

[ame]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8e2_1389408183[/ame]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back