• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec prop overhauls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coopere

Reaction score
It’s that time, sent my props in for overhaul, they were last done 10 years ago in Florida. In Canada we have a 10 year overhaul requirement.

Got the bad news the other day, 1 blade failed due to the balance hole being oversized... not sure what that means, but they did have a serviceable overhauled blade so I have a set

The other thing was both hubs failed due to corrosion, I was seriously surprised by this as the aircraft is flown fairly regularly roughly 50-60hrs a year, plus the airframe shows no signs of corrosion

Looking for 2 serviceable hubs, I’m sure new from Hartzell these things will likely be machined out of gold billet...

anyone had hubs fail?

I did enquire about the corrosion in the hubs, mentioned that these were overhauled 10 years ago without issue, the response I received was 2 fold, mostly that Hartzell in the past 5 years has really tightened up their corrosion requirements and second that the last overhaul shop may have had some leeway during inspection, I find that hard to believe, it either passes or it doesn't. Plus from the videos about prop overhauls I have seen, all corrosion looks like its removed every time.

prop models are the “compact” design
Hc-e2yr-2rbsf / f8465-7r

wondering what other options I have...
Any advise would be appreciated...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back