• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec- Fuel starvation in climb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,
The anomaly I'm experiencing within 60-90 seconds after takeoff is a lost of power on the RH engine when on the outboard tank(which is more than 50% filled). Selecting the inboard tank results in immediate restoration of power. Once in a level flight attitude, I'm able to select the outboard tank and the engine runs without issue through the rest of the flight. Initially I assumed it was possibly fuel contamination, however there is no water observed when draining the fuel. I recreated the scenario about 3 times with the same outcome each time. The LH engine runs fine on either tank in all phases of flight. I have completed entire flights numerous times on the outboards.....until this all started of course. Has anyone experienced this before?

If this is a selector valve or contamination issue, why does the engine lose power in the climb out but runs fine in level flight?
Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

Latest posts

Back