• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec Flat Tire - Unusual Cause

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcm3m

Reaction score
En route from FL to MN in my Aztec C model. Stopped for fuel in Carbondale, IL and while taxiing to the ramp had a "blow out" (BANG!) on my left main.

Turns out that a linkage rod came disconnected from my left main rear gear door and, while "dangling" from the strut while taxiing, embedded itself into the tire causing the blow out. The attachment method for the linkage rod to the door is a "ball and socket" arrangement with the socket attached to the rod and the ball on the door.

Two takeaways: 1) Make sure your mechanic checks the security of these attachments when you are in for routine maintenance. You can also do this on occasional preflights. and; 2) Plan your XC fuel stops at an airport that has services available. Fortunately the great team at KMDH had me back on my way in about 3 hrs.

Latest posts

Back