• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avionics upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve A

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've been following a number of threads for awhile now and it looks like there is a wealth of information out there, I would certainly appreciate some help in deciding a cost effective way to upgrade my Nav/Com.
Currently I have a King KX175BE Nav/Com.
The VOR went out to lunch some time ago and has never come back. After the plane has sat out in the sun the radio sounds like it has continuously broken through the squelch (squelch isn't adjustable).... very annoying. The KR85 ADF points at the transponder all the time, had a couple of techs look at it over the years but decided not to spend anymore money on it. It's still handy to get the cricket scores though.
It would be great to just plonk a Garmin 430 in, but this will be big dollars.
I only use the plane for VFR but I don't want to use non TSO gear so that it will be suitable for night VFR or maybe PIFR.
Has anyone had experience with the TKM MX170C which will slide into the existing KX175 rack. I've been told these aren't that good a quality and after a few years you can expect it to break down at which point you can't get parts for it.

Interested to hear your ideas / thoughts / experiences.

Cheers from downunder.
Steve
Archer II PA28-181

Latest posts

Back