• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avionics question: GI 106A vs KI 209A? Linked to Garmin GPS 175 and KX 155 Nav/Com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hoping an avionics pro or someone with first hand experience can point me in the right direction.
I'm getting ready to undergo a minor avionics upgrade to my panel and am mostly responsible for assembling the components.

Replacing:
1. Old KLN 89b with Garmin GPS 175
2. Plug in external box type intercom with PSE 8000G audio panel
3. Inop CDI with either KI209A or GI106A indicator
4. Com1 (MX300) becomes com2
5. Install KX155 for com1

Q: a) Which indicator should I go with? I'm leaning towards the GI106A as I've read the needles move in right angles vs swing style and it has a built in "annunciator" which displays when receiving the GPS. However, I already have the KI209A on hand (came with kx155), so there's that.

b) Would anyone have the part number for the annunciator switch I would need to flip between GPS and Nav (kx155)? I have a 14v system. I've also been told I need a relay, but not sure which one or part #?

Thanks in advance!

RD

PA28 140

Latest posts

Back