• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avionics planning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a picture of my panel as it stands. This is from the ad before I bought it, but it hasn't changed.

Screenshot_2017-12-22-10-59-11-1.png

There is a lot I want to do with this and its going to be expensive, so I am brainstorming what to do in which "wave" so as to not break the bank. Right now, I'm concerned with wave #1. I want to identify what will give me the most immediate benefit, but without overlapping with something else to come later.

I'm thinking about pitching that King radio on the right side and replacing it with a modern digital radio - Garmin SL30 or similar. My thought is to put the new radio in that slot and continue using the old Narco as com #1. My logic is that the narco works fine right now, but eventually I will probably put a Garmin 530 or something on the left side which will then serve as COM1. I am thinking this might avoid the labor cost of having to relocate the radio now, then again later. Is this a big deal? If not, I might move the Narco to the #2 slot and put the new radio in the #1 slot. I'm reluctant to buy two new radios when the Narco will works fine and whatever GPS I buy will most likely have a COM as part of it.

I want to move that turn coordinator to the right one slot to complete the 6 pack. Eventually, I'll put an autopilot controller where the TC is right now. That is down the road a ways though - $$$.

Then I was thinking pitch that transponder and go with a self contained ADS-B out unit.

I might throw in a Garmin 340 or similar audio panel as well, just for the more refined look, but that will boil down to cost as well.

I want to get a heading bug DG, whether its digital or old school.

My vision for wave 1 is this:

Replace the King with a modern radio
Get ADS-B out transponder
Move TC to the right
Audio panel upgrade
Overhaul the two vacuum gyro instruments (both quite old) OR
Get dual Garmin G5's installed and do away with the vacuum system.

Assuming no G5's, I'm thinking maybe 8-10k for this work? With G5's maybe 12-14k?

I don't have any direct questions yet. Just brainstorming. I need to recover some bucks after some of the other work I'm doing right now, but I'm targeting Sept or Oct to bring this thing to an avionics shop for a bit of panel work.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions from those who have gone this path before me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back