• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avionics opinions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So many choices. Now that my mufflers are fixed.I need to turn my attention to a nav/com unit. My plane goes to the shop on Saturday for a Stratus transponder installation. We chose that route because the current transponder isn't working and I purchased a stratus 3 so I would at least have adsb in while waiting on the shop to have time to install the transponder. In the meantime my second nav/com has died. I have sent it in twice and this third time death I don't think I want to go for another repair but would like to replace. it is a Narco 12D of which we have 2 but one is narrower than the other and it is the thicker one that is dead. After browsing through many avionics posts it is completely mind boggling on what to choose or even what direction to go. Garmin is probably out as I'm not fond of them for pricing and a "just me" attitude. Some of the others have me wondering if even going with stratus was a good option as it looks like some nav/coms have adsb in/out already in them? Also our working radio has numbers that are showing incorrectly so you have to pay attention when changing the frequency. I would also like to keep working Nav instruments if possible. Our AI is also sluggish for awhile after starting up so need to think about that. the AV-30 looks like it could be a good choice when STC gets done but what will I sacrifice in long term. Autopilot is still a dream but want to make good choices to help minimize re-expenses if I get to realize my dream. Somedays I feel like going to an Experimental just to have a lot more freedom but I'm sure there are downsides to that route as well. Sorry for the long post, just venting I suppose.
Please send me opinions and references as you all see fit.
Thank You
Alan

Latest posts

Back