• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avionics Install Complete (New 275 thread)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epopper

Reaction score
I picked up the airplane yesterday. By the time I left the avionics shop, it was cold and getting dark so I didn't stick around for a test flight. Identified a few configuration problems:

1) GI-275 stayed full bright at night, even after manually adjusting. Discovered that the panel light bulb that was shining on the #1 CDI and the altimeter are now shining on this instrument, giving it a false reading. Removing the bulb for the CDI and working on a shield for the altimeter bulb so it is directional only towards the altimeter.

2) GI-275 reads 3-4 degrees nose low during cruise (oh boy, here we go!!). The pitch should read close to level or slightly nose up during cruise. It is likely the calibration needs to be redone. Goal is not to read "level" during cruise, but the actual pitch, which is not 3-4 degrees nose low...

3) White background (inside buttons) lights on audio panel appear to be very dim or out. Could be some sort of interference from a panel bulb. The lighting bus was not used and the lights are controlled auto by photocell.

4) It appears it requires more power output for the new stuff as the amps are higher a bit then I am used to. No big deal except at night time with all interior and exterior lights running. I am researching LED nav lights (bulbs not full units) and LED panel light bulbs. Any input to either would be appreciated.

Here pictures of the panel and 275 and all of its pages. Love it!

Eric

There are 2 HSI pics. The first shows the HSI with no waypoint selected. The second had an active waypoint, but I flubbed the pic in turbulence. The terrain pic shows a blank screen because there was no terrain, same with the FIS-B weather.

The bottom 2 pictures were taken at night with the 275 full bright. Also, if you look above the gyro ADI, there is a switch that is part of the installation. In the auto position, you control which display is shown on the 275 with the knob and in the on position it reverts to the ADI to get to it quickly. Mainly meant for a reversionary mode if you have an ADI and HSI with the HSI as the backup to the ADI.
IMG_2999.JPG
IMG_3001.JPG
IMG_3002.JPG
IMG_3003.JPG
IMG_3004.JPG
IMG_3004.JPG
IMG_3005.JPG
IMG_3006.JPG
IMG_3007.JPG
IMG_3008.JPG
IMG_3009.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG