• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Avidyne IFD540 GPS/COM Early Reports

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The IFD540 was released this summer, and shipping is ramping up slowly. It is available for immediate shipping for new retail customers. I'm in the pre-ship prebuy group, and based on my queue position hope to get it by Christmas. Although I have seen other pilots' installs in action, until then I only have a simulator myself.

These comments are from the Avidyne Forums ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OWNER B58G
I upgraded my 530W to IFD540 last week and couldn't be happier. I have Skywatch Traffic 497 (ARINC) and mid continent switching unit. Took less than an hour to install and program. The automation, switching, display and information is very intuitive. It is simple to use and yet as complex as one could imagine.

The sales team/tech support have been very easy to reach and any questions have been answered immediately. I believe Avidyne wants their units to interact with other companies products. The company has evolved into something quite spectacular....immediate response, state of the art products in the IFD540, and more features to be added - incredible support and the ability to do data downloads and analysis instantaneously. This should save AOG. situations and rule out any malfunctions caused by the box itself.

If the above does not reflect it, let me say I'm thrilled with the upgrade. No, I don't work for Avidyne, and I paid full price for the IFD540 - just a very satisfied customer.

- GRINGODS

Wow. What an absolute pleasure to fly with. I had my data blocks set up on the ramp in 5 min including my flight plan home. A couple of other interesting things we noticed vs (Brand X) they had in their showroom. When you move the map on the 540 using the touch screen the map follows as you move your finger. The (Brand X) lagged, the map would go blank, then after it caught up to your finger it would take some time to fill in. ... The other thing I noticed was that the Avidyne 540 satellite reception was not affected at all by transmitting on my KX155. Under the same circumstances, the Garmin 530W would drop satellite signal strength completely then some would return to a lower level. ...

Phoenix and back today with my new 540. I can't believe how nice it is to fly with. I had my ipad and sectionals along, but didnt need either. The 540 really reduces workload for both VFR and IFR flight and the need for an ipad or hard copies of charts. I have flown Collins, Honeywell, UNS and the Sperry/Honeywell and GE/Smith Industries systems in numerous corporate jets and Boeings and the Avidyne 540 is by far one of the easiest and most productive units to fly with......simply awesome!

- Joe Jet

Latest posts

Back