• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aviation career

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious if there is anyone who has walked a similar path.

My story (short version):

I went to school to be an accountant. Graduated and then got a job in that field right out of college. All the while, I trained to fly, all part 61. Once, I got that accounting job, I found out that I hated it. So after about 18 months and after getting the nod from my wife (at the time), I dropped my notice and got a job instructing. I instructed for about 6 months before getting hired on as FO flying for Trans States Airlines. I was flying the EMB-145. Some of the best times in my life were the first year of that job. The friends. The training. The game of it. All the new experiences. It was simply amazing. But, after about a year, I really started to struggle to maintain happiness doing it. I didn't feel like a professional. I felt like a homogenous commodity. I was a number. I was a piece of gum to be used to plug a scheduling hole. No one really knew my name - at least in management. I learned after that first year, that short of an emergency, there really wasn't much else to experience up there. Every flight was basically the same or at least could be grouped into a small number of flight types (short, long, night, day, IMC, VMC). In the end, I was flying where they said, when they said, how they said to do it (SOP), at the filed speed, etc. It really didn't feel like flying anymore. "Cleared for the visual" was the most exciting thing - I could click off the A/P and fly the airplane!

Anyway, even though I felt lucky and still "on purpose" so to speak, 4-5 nights in a LaQuinta/crash pad, per week was taking it's toll on me too and I was really starting to wonder about what life would be like back at a desk, home every night, etc. What if I went back to accounting, made good money, and earned my way into being able to buy my own airplane? Then I could be home every night. I could fly when I wanted, where I wanted, etc. I'd be giving up the "cool" equipment, though.

When the economy crashed in late 2008, I was handed a furlough notice. My furlough date was 4 months away. It was November. I decided not to accept the furlough and I put in my notice of resignation. I did that because I wanted to time out my exit with the beginning of the Spring term. I wanted to go back to school to get a professional accounting certification.

Dec 15th, 2008, N809HK, I was the flying pilot from IAD to STL - my final flight.

I got home and started school on Jan 9th and took a huge exam and earned my CPA license. I did a bit of part time instructing through out that period, but eventually resumed my career in accounting.

My wife decided she was interested in other men, so we divorced. This was largely brought about due to my extended absences, I am sure. That is a long story on it's own.

All that said, I met someone new and have been remarried for over 4 years now. She is also an accountant. I've been firing on all cylinders in this field now since 2010 and it's really OK. I don't love it, but it's decent and professional work. Income has increased to the point where fulfilling my "other" aviation dream - ownership - became a possiblity. So, I did that. I bought my first airplane in January of this year.

So, here I am. I'm a previous 121 first officer with about 2,400 hours TT, about 1,050 in the EMB-145. But, I'm also a CPA in the State of Florida with a successful (enough) career that I can pay the bills and own/operate my airplane - I've arrived.

But, the side effect is that, now that I'm flying more, in my own airplane, and am getting immersed back into aviation on a regular basis, my thirst for it is increasing such that I am losing satisfaction in accounting and sort of starting to wish I was flying full time again and not sitting at a desk.

With the "pilot shortage", these carriers seem very thirsty for pilots. Could yet another career restart make sense? Commuter airlines would probably love to get their hands on a guy like me who has proven he can pass ground school, sim training, and IOE in a regional jet. They are waving some huge sign on bonuses around right now.

But, reality is that I wouldn't be back to my current income level for at least 3 years, perhaps more, depending on when I upgraded. I would take a hit financially, which could cause me to no longer be able to afford the Cherokee.

Catch 22.

The mind plays strange games. My instinct says to stick with accounting for money, despite the downsides. Enjoy the upsides - there are many. Fly the heck out of my new airplane and if I want more, try to do some instructing, etc. But, flying the shiny metal again probably isn't in the cards on this path. Is that OK? Personal question, obviously.

Just curious if any others have walked a similar path - tried professional aviation and gave it up. If so, what was your experience? Regrets? Right decision?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back