• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

AutoPilot Replacement Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Altimatic III autopilot in my Lance worked pretty good when I bought it a year ago..but, it's starting to get a bit 'glitchy'. First the elevator servo doesn't disengage like it should..so, when I shut the AP off, the trim wheel is stiff. If I jog it back and forth, it works OK. Now the Radio Coupler needs to be replaced and/or rebuilt. It's almost impossible to turn and there is no detent to indicate when it is in the Nav/heading/ etc mode. Finally the electric trim is inop...I'm thinking that it may be cheaper in the long run to ditch this 45 year old AP and replace it with a Tru-track...(a junk yard radio coupler is $1000)....not to mention the cost of fixing and/or replacing the other bits and pieces...

For those of you who have replaced your system with the new tru-track AP, did you have the original Piper servos removed during the install?

How happy are you with the TTrack system and what did it cost you (installed?)

Latest posts

Back