• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Auto pilot

diver235

Reaction score
I have a 1981 Archer II with original auto pilot. The system works on ground when adjusting the dg bug. But in the air, she just keeps rolling over past the assigned heading bug. Any thoughts? Brad.

dufur2003

Reaction score
Sounds like you probably have a century II autopilot and someone has switched out the attitude indicator for a non autopilot version. When I bought my airplane this exact thing happened to me. So the autopilot was essentially useless. Ended up having the avionics shop look at it and he diagnosed it pretty quickly.

carlw

Reaction score
If the connector on the attitude gyro has been removed or a wire has been pulled out from a contact, that will cause an inop autopilot.

N677ap

Reaction score
This is the "planes for sale" forum. Sounds like you have a defective autopilot. Very dangerous. I would sell the plane if I were you. Coincidentally, I happen to be in the market for an Archer II. I think you need to sell it to me, to avoid inadvertently turning the autopilot on and crashing the plane. ;)