• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

ATC Privatization

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have flown in the Canadian and Australian aviation environments and the only change has been greater bureaucracy and added cost.
Australia privatized, and created four bureaucracies – CASA (like the FAA, is a regulator), air traffic control, airports (sold off, many closed and redeveloped, and fees introduced by remaining private operators), and fire/ground services. The prior government aviation minister in Australia made a glowing speech during his reign how wonderful and efficient that his government was in not building new infrastructure since demand had diminished. The truth was that demand was choked by fees and his government’s bureaucracy and that is where this ATC privatization will take us. Previously the entire system was paid from fuel taxes – did the ‘privatization’ see the government eliminate the fuel taxes? NO! The taxes remained and the government ‘double dipped’.
Canada did a ‘sleight of hand’ where it had a budget deficit and it formed a ‘new’ air traffic corporation and ‘sold’ the ATC to it for C$One Billion Dollars. The users of the new system have to pay for use and the fees cover actual cost plus the interest and repayment on the $One Billion Dollars. This trick appeared to reduce the government deficit by the $One Billion, but saddled aviation users by fees that had been paid by fuel taxes. Did the government reduce or eliminate the fuel taxes? NO!
Will Trump’s privatization eliminate fuel taxes? No, of course not. The Transportation Secretary spent this week in Canada studying their system, so I expect that is what will be foisted onto us here.
My experience in Canada’s airspace is that preference is still given to jet traffic (aka airlines) and that general aviation is provided with fewer services. Canada introduced fees at major airports in addition to all of the other fees so if you go to Vancouver, Calgary etc you have a landing fee.
I am confident that no benefit for General Aviation will be derived from this privatization. Airlines have promoted this for decades, apparently so they can offset much cost onto GA and reduce their costs. I was intrigued when Delta, United, American had a day of Trump’s time about two weeks ago, and now we see the outcome – privatization!
The present system isn’t broken and works reasonably well – the only predictable change is added cost which will lead to the (already pressured) GA portion of aviation being restricted and diminished.
I’m an ATP and I fly a Twin Comanche and various business jets and I feel that I am qualified to express this position.

Latest posts

Back