• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Arrow fuel drain valve replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piperforum79

Reaction score
I noticed a small seep from the left tank fuel drain valve on '79 Arrow PA28RT-201 (t-tail). Checked torque and it was at spec (40 - 45 inch pounds). Worked it open and closed several times, seep remained. I replaced it with a new SAF-AIR SA-187 without help. Spilled roughly 1/4 cup of gas out of 32 gallons in the tank.

Method: I covered the tire with polyethelene to prevent any gas spill from hitting the tire, taping the bottom of the poly into a five gallon bucket for any spillage. Prepared the new flush drain valve with a light coat of Easy Turn Fuel Lube sealant. Turned the old valve until I could finish the removal by hand. A few drops at this point. With new valve in right hand, pulled old valve out and immediately inserted new valve and finger tightened. Then torqued to spec. 5 minutes.

Hints: Wear gloves, tie a towel around each arm in case there is a problem, wear safety glasses to keep gas out of eyes, have a tapered stopper to shove into the hole after removing the old valve in case the SHTF. Remove old valve with one socket wrench (1/2") and have separate torque wrench set to tighten the new one up to 40 - 45 inch pounds, ready to go. Option: before inserting new valve, let half a gallon of gas drain while moving the wing to flush out crud. Obviously, outside the hangar with fire extinquisher handy.

Latest posts

Back