• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Are all Arrows “pitchy”?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Flown my 1971 P28R more than 750 hours over the past 5 years. I love the plane; my only mild complaint is that it seems very “pitchy”. She definitely seems to have very little positive dynamic stability. I fly with my hand pretty much always resting on the trim wheel, making minute adjustments. Any disturbance in airflow sets up a porpoising that will last many cycles if I don’t act to cancel them out. While the oscillations are damped (they don’t increase, and don’t remain indefinitely), they aren’t dampened much. If you let the oscillations get away from you (over correcting) things get really interesting in a hurry.

Over the years, I’ve gotten so used to her flying characteristics that I don’t really notice it much; it’s become almost muscle memory to correct it. But flying with a friend recently, he noticed the pitch sensitivity and commented it seemed much more pronounced than in the other Arrow he flys in (mine is a Hershey-bar wing; he’s flown a taper wing).

Should I be looking for a cause or is this typical?
Pete

Latest posts

Back