• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Archer rudder rig/trim issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mag

Reaction score
I have a 1976 Archer and when trimmed out the right rudder pedal is slightly depressed but fly's straight. So I decided to check all the rigging. Ailerons and flaps were all good, but the rudder was not faired.

I clamped the pedals so they were equal and disconnected the steering rods and tried to rig the rudder. I got it centered good with proper tension, but whenever I remove the clamp that hold the rudder pedals faired, there is some natural bias in the system that extends right rudder. Since their are no springs in the system, I assumed the bias was coming from the rudder trim actuator. I tried driving the rudder trim actuator all the way to the left and no matter what I do, it still applied some force to the right pedal.

The issue is whats a normal rudder trim actuator do? Does it always apply some force to the right even when backed all the way off, or is this trim actuator defective?

Anybody have any experience with this issue?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back