• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Apollo 2001 IFR approach approved GPS

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
ends today. Looks like it will go cheap. Pretty good deal to upgrade a plain panel to IFR GPS.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Still no bid. 1.5 hrs till auction closes...

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I checked after the auction the other day and saw that it sold for $470.

Now it is relisted?

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
I asked the same question and found he has more than one system for sale, and several of the IFR GPS units alone that you can slide into the tray of a non-functionong VFR unit. Sort of an Apollo expert.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ah I see.

I was going to bid, but for some reason the slightly mangled radio tray shown in the photo somewhat turned me off.

And also thought money might be better spent on something not so old and on the way out.

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
Funny thing is, the newer GX series Apollos that everyone wants for the moving map are the real problem children. The were "on the way out" five years ago. People are rolling the dice spending $1500-2500 for them, even thought the displays are becoming a problem. They are obsolete and Garmin doesn't repair them. They have the exact same functionality as the 2001 GPS, but it doesn't have the display failure problems that affect the Apollo GX series, the King KLN89 and 90 series, and some of the others.

Still, less than a grand for an IFR GPS is cheap compared to a used 430 at $7k. Hook it up to a Sandel 3308 electronic HSI and you've got a nice set up for less than $4k all in.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Is there still support for the 2001 GPS?

philiplane

A&P, IA, CFI, CFII, MEI,
Reaction score
Yes, there is factory support in Salem Oregon. At the old Apollo headquarters, since renamed Garmin AT. Better support than Garmin in Kansas, lower prices too. They also do their own databases so you're not getting ripped off by Jeppesen.

The 2001 is well supported, even though the successor GX series was abandoned due to the screen supplier ceasing production. They both used the same GPS system and that was imported into the CNX80, which was the first WAAS capable GPS. Garmin bought Apollo to get the WAAS technology, renaming it the GNS480, and then it still took them 3 years to figure out how to put that into the 430 and 530. So the better engineering minds are still in Salem, Oregon.

Latest posts