• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Any interest in Garmin 696 portable w/ XM antenna?

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't decided whether to sell yet, but I'd like to check and see if there's any interest out there, and what price people might be willing to pay. Unit would be shipping from Canada, but shipping to the US wouldn't be too hard.

It's the older XM antenna, but still works well. The system software in the 696 is up to date. I also have a yoke mount that I'd throw in for free, and a Zaon XRX traffic detector (now discontinued) that can show traffic—with mixed reliability—right on the 696 screen, which I'd probably also toss in (use at own risk).

This is a reliable unit, but now that I have a panel-mount GPS, I'm thinking of decluttering and removing it from my yoke. I could use a tablet to show weather and traffic from my GTX 345 and a GDL 51 (for XM weather).

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quanto questa?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. If it's not worth much, then I'll just toss it in in a box as a backup, or donate it to my flying club (= non-profit FBO/flight school in Canada).

D

JohnK

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Do you have an asking price? That's just the sort of thing my buddy needs for his new PA-28. Previous owner kept the yoke mounted Garmin for his new plane.

Thanks,

John

Unit74

Reaction score
Man, I'd take care of my club first to be honest. The XRX is worth a couple hundy alone, they work well. $500 on the 696 is a good price.

If you are on Beechtalk, those will sell fairly quickly.

PaulR

Reaction score
Canuck new if it has the Sirius XM Antenna and weather they are 1898.00 and selling for about 1,200.00 EBay on average, without the Sirius XM weather new they are 1,200.00 and used go for around 800.00.

I bought my 696 with XM for 800.00 and panel mounted it in my commander for 800.00 and a great instrument and like the knobs better, than the 796 touch screen which I have is yoke mounted, and soon to be panel mounted with my upgrades on the panel next month. Garmin 796 is one of the cheapest GPS one could have and does so much and highly recommend it to everyone as the single best bang for the buck in every aircraft that can do so much and discussed in may threads.

My 696 for 800.00 was a steal as the seller thought the batteries were dead and were, and there is a way to revive them when the batterie goes dead without replacing them, but thats for another post as its a little detailed, but simple to fix a dead batterie on the 696 without replacing it when it says "Battery Missing" and thinks its dead and isn't.

http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/gpsmap-696

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I do have a buyer now, and I appreciate all the advice in this thread.

D

Dguy

Reaction score
Canuck, just out of interest how did you like your garmin 696. Does it display the canadian V/Q airways and canadian airspace or is it just an overlap of the US LL ifr, vfr maps. I’m contemplating replacing my garmin196 gps.

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Canuck, just out of interest how did you like your garmin 696. Does it display the canadian V/Q airways and canadian airspace or is it just an overlap of the US LL ifr, vfr maps. I’m contemplating replacing my garmin196 gps.
I loved it. It was a great device, that took me through a lot of flying in Canada and the US. I never took it farther north than Kapuskasing and Val-D'Or, but the navdata was always good, and from memory, my subscription included both US and Canadian airway data. I also had Canadian XM weather as well as US.

What the 696 doesn't have is airway planning--that means that you have to enter all of the waypoints separately, so instead of just

CYAM SSM V316 YYB CYYB

You'd have to enter

CYAM SSM YEL YSB YYB CYYB

Not usually a big deal for Victor airways, but if you're using the 696 as a backup for a panel-mounted GPS flying the new RNAV T-routes, you'll be entering a lot of fixes.

D