• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Another exploding engine.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Dartford

Reaction score
On can no longer say that explosive destruction of turbofan engines is a rare event. Had another one today. Fortunately today's event did not speed damage to hydraulic systems or penetrate the cabin. But consider what happened to the QANTAS A380, a much larger engine. As an engineer myself I call on the industry to review the design criteria for the very large engines. At one time containment structure was provided around the heavy rotating parts, but the new engines have such huge fans that no structure could contain breakup. Maybe four smaller engines would be better..

When I was in college the dean reminded us that, as a profession, engineering has a moral duty to provide safe machines, not just high performance ones. I have never forgotten that guidance. As an extreme example...Even in the design of missile guidance systems great attention was always given to never arming the nuclear weapon unless there is every inflight indication that the missile will accurately strike the intended target and nowhere else..

Latest posts

Back