• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

And the avionics decisions are ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
My spouse is non-technical, but as a former journalist and current senior editor, she's good at asking probing questions, and helped me stop waffling. Here's what I've decided for my avionics upgrade.

Add:

- Garmin GTN 650 GPS with MidContinent MD200-706 CDI
- Garmin GTX 330 ES transponder, ADS-B out only (might have the model number wrong)

Remove:

- King KX 170B navcom with KI-208 CDI
- King KN 64 DME
- King KT 78 transponder with Narco AR 850 encoder

Keep:

- King KMA 24 audio panel
- King KX 155 navcom with KI-209 CDI (slide down to position 2)
- STEC 20 autopilot (will be coupled to GPS)
- Narco ADF 840 with indicator (for a while, for sentimental reasons)
- WX 900 Stormscope
- Flightcom 403MC four-place Intercom (will go when I upgrade the audio panel in the future)

I'll continue to use a portable device to view XM Weather. I'm happy that the main part of my panel will still look like this, because I'm fond of the classic steam-gauge look (vs too many glass/computer displays).

Thanks to everyone for your patience answering my questions over the past couple of weeks.

(Orest: I'll be working with Josh at your local shop, as recommended—he offered to hide from you that I'm going Garmin, but I said you'd find out anyway :) . They could accommodate me as early as the start of July, but I don't want the work to interfere with trips I've already planned, so August is more likely. I'll let you know when I've paid my deposit and have a date, and maybe we can grab lunch or a coffee/tea when I drop the plane off.)

D

IMG_20170615_141314.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back