• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

An alternate fuel idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WebRuss

Reaction score
Hello All

First off this is more of a mental exercise than anything else. I am NOT I repeat NOT advocating doing what I am about to discuss. I want to discuss this idea and toss around solutions.

I am frustrated by climbing fuel costs on my aircraft. I pass the local gas station selling 93 octane unleaded for up to $2.00 a gallon less than 100LL at the local airport. But I cannot use this fuel because it contains ethanol.

They do sell 91 octane non-ethanol fuel, which is acceptable for my plane, at a few local gas station, but the price is almost the same as 100LL.

There is a very simple method for removing ethanol from gasoline. Add water and shake, which binds the alcohol to the water and settles to the bottom. Then drain off the water, and the water/alcohol leaving only the gasoline.

Problem - The octane is now down to about 90 where it was 93 with the ethanol. Solution - for every four gallons of "washed" gasoline add 1 gallon of 100LL This will bring the average octane back up to about 92.
90+90+90+90+100 = 460
460/5 = 92

It seems the end result is a 92 octane low lead fuel that I might be able to burn in my plane. Am I going to try it in my plane? Probably not, but I might use it for my lawn mower or car.

So what do you all think?

Regards
Russ

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back