• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ammeter reads high (maybe 50 /55) but low volt light is on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norpcom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So went out today to do a few laps in the pattern. Started the plane right up and noticed immediately that the ammeter was really high and then saw the low volt light was on. Reset the master switch and nothing happened. Shut the aircraft down and pulled the air plane back into the hanger. I have a APU that I plugged in and powered up and read normal voltage and a few amps used, so that tells me the problem is NOT in the instrument panel. I pulled the floor up on the forward baggage compartment but no wiring looks damaged. Checked the cable to the alternator but both look fine. No circuit breakers are tripping. I'm going to call the mechanic tomorrow on the field but figured I'd post here to see if anyone has ever seen or heard of this before. I read elsewhere it could be the battery? Battery was installed new in 2/2020... I guess 2020 was a bad year, why not for batteries as well.

Latest posts

Back