• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Alternator Troubles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thank God I have a engine monitor that flashes when the voltage goes below 12V. I have a Plane Power alternator and regulator. The alternator is less than a year old. Crapped out on my at the end of an XC flight the first time. This time, it crapped out about 10 minutes after takeoff. After it sat for about an hour, I restarted and it came alive again. Was fine through runup, noticed the voltage was just a little low, 14.2, on the takeoff roll. Then it went to 14.1, 14.0, 13.8, and the bottom dropped out. Made the 2nd precautionary landing of the day.

Hard to believe it's the alternator again when it's less than 6 months old. Is it the VR or the over voltage relay? Field Wire?

Latest posts

Back