• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Alternator required or not for day VFR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
My actual POH is in the plane, but I found an interesting difference between the generic PIM (non-customised POH) for the Piper Warrior II between the 1976 and 1982 editions.

The 1976 edition includes this language in the limitations section:
2.19 TYPES OF OPERATION

The airplane is approved for the following operations when equipped in accordance with FAR 91 or FAR 135.

(a) Day V.F.R.
(b) Night V.F.R.
(c) Day I.F.R.
(d) Night I.F.R.
(e) Non Icing
By the 1982 edition, this section is expanded considerably, including a minimum-equipment list for each type of flight. Here is the part I'm interested in:
(a) Day VFR
(1) Airspeed indicator
(2) Altimeter
(3) Magnetic compass
(4) Tachometer
(5) Oil pressure indicator
(6) Oil temperature indicator
(7) Fuel pressure indicator
(8) Fuel quantity indicator - each tank
(9) Volt-ammeter
(10) Alternator
(11) Safety restraint - each occupant​
Since this is in the limitations section, my understanding is that it's binding (while everything else is advisory). So does this mean that in good day VFR and avoiding airspace that requires a transponder or radio, someone could legally fly a 1977 Warrior II back home with a U/S alternator and no ferry permit, but not a 1982 Warrior II? (I'll check where my 1979 Warrior II falls in this range the next time I'm at the plane.)

Latest posts

Back