• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Alternator not coming on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
A few days ago in Indiana, I had the master switch on my Dakota replaced because the plastic battery switch (left side) cracked.

https://www.piperforum.com/threads/broken-split-master-switch-pa28-236.17998/page-3

After it was replaced, I flew about 3 hours to upstate New York (KELM). Today I departed KELM for a fuel stop in Rome, NY (KRME) about 40 minutes away (100LL for $3.86!). All that was fine.

After getting fuel and starting up, I was not showing any load on the ammeter gauge and my JPI 830 indicated 12.1 volts (not charging). I turned off all the avionics and cycled the right side of the switch (ALT) with no change. I told ground I need to reposition to the ramp to investigate. Once over there I left the avionics on and cycled the ALT switch whereupon it came up and indicated a correct draw on the ammeter and the JPI read 13.7 volts. All good. I then cycled the ALT switch a few more times and got good results. Everything seeming ok, I flew to Lebanon, NH where I am now.

In all this I don't think the ALT annunciator light ever came on but I am not 100% sure.

I hope in the morning it will work ok. I am a bit suspicious that there is something wrong in the switch since that was very recently replaced. The alternator belt is tight and I have never had this happen in the 4.5 years and 500 hours that I have owned the airplane.

Has anyone else had the alternator not come on like this and fixed with a cycle (or two) of the switch?

Latest posts

Back