• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Alternator gauge “bumping”?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarm98

PA32 @ KARR
Reaction score
Searched this forum and was not able to find any recent discussion on this topic.

So, flying along FDaH (Fat dumb and Happy) a few night flights ago, I noticed the alternator current bumping up and down. Range was from around 3 amps to about 7 amps if I remember correctly, the voltage was also going up and down from about 14.3 volts down to about 13.8 volts. It was night and strobes were NOT on. The cockpit lights were doing a slight disco so I knew it was ”real”. I said to myself “hmmm, that’s odd”. I turned the alternator side of the Master switch off, and it stopped. I waited a couple potato counts then turned the alternator back on and it came back on (phew) and was stable at what I consider “normal” readings of about 2-4 amps (piper gauge) for the remainder of the flight. Volts at about 14.1 volts.

However, This happened again on my last flight (switching alt off then on corrected it again). I know though that it’s really only a matter of time before this solution does not “rectify” the issue (pun). So,...it’s time to start asking the Pros on this forum. Belt for alternator is not old (about two years old) and has good tension, battery is new and was replaced this spring.

Is my alternator going bad or is it the voltage regulator?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back