• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aircraft for IFR Training and Beyond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been reading the forums for a while, and seeing the vast piloting experience on offer I have finally decided to get some advice.

So I'm 40 in IT and have decided to change careers and pursue my dream of flying professionally. I successfully got my PPL in April in a C172 and have taken a few flights since and am thoroughly hooked. Now as I want to work through all of my ratings up to CFI and doing the maths on aircraft ownership I am now looking at getting my 1st plane.

Based on what I think I will be doing my mission is as such:

1. Stable IFR platform I can complete my IR rating in.
2. Capable XC cruiser that can take 2 people (me and a passenger) and some light luggage comfortably. (I am anticipating at least 1 XC trip per month of over 300 Miles and some even longer) So decent performance would be a plus.
3. If I can, get something that is Auto fuel STC capable that would be a plus, but not a hard requirement. (I know this would limit the higher performance options like Mooney etc..)
4. Budget would be up to 60K, but would like to stay below as much as possible.

At the moment my plan is to consult part time to continue to get some income and fly at least 2 or 3 weekdays a week for at least 2 hours (I know this is a lot) to build PIC and XC time. Then train full time with a CFI or Solo 2 days per week for at least 4 hours per day. So saying that something reliable and comfortable would be a must.

So based on the above requirements and a ton of research I think I have narrowed down my choices to:

1. PA-28-180 or 140 with 160HP upgrade with good avionics. As these all should be able to be Auto Fuel STC'ed and cruise at 100 to 120 kts.
2. Bite the bullet and get something faster and more complex like a Mooney 20C, Comanche, or Archer. Take the hit on 1st year insurance and getting complex endorsements and extra CFI time.

So apologies in advance for the long post, and I now welcome any ideas or questions anyone has. (And I know I mentioned Mooney in a Piper forum :))

Latest posts

Back