• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aeronca "Chief" Posted for a freind

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that aluminum spar mod alone is something like an $11,000 job, parts and labor. It's to address an AD on what were originally wood spar Aeroncas. The switch to an aluminum spar puts an end to repetitive wood spar inspections, I do believe.

skywag

BE300 CE500 DA-50 LR-JET
Reaction score
Wow, that aluminum spar mod alone is something like an $11,000 job, parts and labor. It's to address an AD on what were originally wood spar Aeroncas. The switch to an aluminum spar puts an end to repetitive wood spar inspections, I do believe.

You guys out in Pennsylvania could probably use a ski plane right about now!

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
It's being considered for a Chief and a Champ here right now. I think the different owners were quoted $5,500 for the kit and then something like 60-70 hours for the install. It sounds like quite the undertaking.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It's being considered for a Chief and a Champ here right now. I think the different owners were quoted $5,500 for the kit and then something like 60-70 hours for the install. It sounds like quite the undertaking.
Remove wings, strip them bare. Install new spar. Recover the wings and reinstall them. Rig the wings to the fuselage. Lots of work. A fair amount of the work, such as disassembly, tear down, and fabric recover can be done by the owner.