• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

AeroCruze 100 Not Stopping At Altitude Preselect

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just installed a AC100 autopilot. Most everything works great but I am having one problem that I can't figure out. I may be doing something incorrectly so any advice would be much appreciated. The problem is that in initial climb, the AP will not stop at the preselected altitude. I let it go 400' above the preselect before I took control and descended back to the preselected altitude. Once at altitude, I re-engaged the AP and selected altitude hold and it holds fine. After that I can select a lower altitude and a descent rate and it will do that as well. Here is the sequence for engaging and initial climb:

1. Engage the AP by pressing the Blue Button
2. Ensure the Aspen is in GPSS mode.
3. Press the Mode button on the AP to engage the Aspen
4. Press the Alt button
5. Dial in 3500 feet as the preselected altitude.
6. Press the knob
7. Dial in 500 feet per minute as the climb rate.
8. Press the knob again

At this point the plane seeks the GPS track and starts climbing as it should. The climb rate is dead on a 500 fpm. I observed and anticipated the AP to stop climbing at 3500 but it continues to climb until 3900 as which point I disengaged the AP and manually descended back to 3500. Then I reengaged the AP by pressing the blue button, then Mode and then Alt and I just had to press the knob twice to be in altitude hold mode.

After the AP was stable at 3500', I pressed the Alt button again and selected 3000' and 500 fpm descent rate. The AP did that perfectly.

Latest posts

Back