• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

ADS-B Daily Waiver - 2020 Mandate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I may have missed this, but I'm not seeing the topic on the forum, so I thought I would share. Following is my understanding, so verify as you go, but this is close if not exactly correct, provided the rules remain the same.

For anyone not having ADS-B Out, the US 2020 ADS-B Mandate has an effective workaround for occasional entry into ADS-B restricted airspace. The workaround is to enter a flight and determine if radar coverage exists (yellow or green) within the ADS-B restricted airspace, and if so, one may request a waiver. This is all automated, unless the reply is "pending", in which case human intervention is required.

The request must be at least one hour, and not more than 23 hours prior to the flight. Multiple uses in a day count as one use. If a pilot makes too many requests, he is restricted until next month. There is no specific number stated as a limit.

For a pending request, the turn around has been two minutes. For approved it is immediate.

If the request is denied, modify the time, altitude, route, or airport according to your practical options and resubmit. Class B airport access is most likely early or late. Fringe operations are not usually an issue.

Class B or C access will require the reason "Other" and will require an explanation. This triggers the "Pending" status.

Note that the scenario is simply to state the aircraft is "unequipped" on a few pull-downs.

ATC uses the transponder for managing traffic, and I have read they don't keep up with the ADS-B status of an airplane, at least not as of now.

There is more which can be read elsewhere, and they have a video that is helpful (I don't recall where), but the above are key points.

The site is: https://sapt.faa.gov/adapt-start.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back